Saturday, December 10, 2005

Jack's Big Boo-Boo

Learning the new blogger format, and just lost the rather lengthy write-up I just had. So I'll try again.

Last night was my company's annual Christmas party. Addam and I fully planned to go, and I was looking forward to it, but then the local newsfolk predicted bad weather. I'm a Southern girl, born and bred, but snow really doesn't bother me. In fact, I'm a little fascinated with it. It's the ice that I have a healthy concern about, and no care to drive in.

So, after the news shows supposed freezing rain for our area, I call the folks at work, make my apologies, and plan a nice evening at home, just me, Jack, Addam and some homemade vegetable soup. Maybe I'd catch The Apprentice, which I've missed the past few weeks.

After dinner, it happens. Jack was full of mischief last night, trying to climb up on the kitchen table time and again as Addam does the dishes. I decide to sit in the chair he's using as his stepstool. Danger averted, right? Wrong - Jack walks over to his Daddy, pulls on a dish towel, and manages to pull down a 40-year-old glass bowl. It breaks.

The broken glass must have popped up and cut his face, and he had a nice little 1/2 inch cut on his face. He's upset, so it's hard to gauge the damage, so I go get a washcloth to wipe the blood and put some pressure on his cut.

It takes Addam and I both to put pressure on his cut. Jack's independent and mobile, so being held down is so not his thing. He puts up a fight, which just makes things worse. He's still bleeding, and the cut looks pretty open, so we call the pediatrician, who says to take him to the Children's ER at Vandy.

Around that time the bleeding stops, and Jack's mood improves. On the drive down, Jack was a perfectly happy little 19 mo. old boy, oblivious to the cut on his face. There is noticeably no ice on the roads, even in our town which usually gets it while Nashville on south is fine. Thank goodness the weather folks were wrong.

Everything goes fine at the ER, except for Jack's vocal displeasure of having to wear a hospital bracelet. The doctor comes in, and decides she's going to flush the cut and then glue it (Dermabond) instead of stitches. She plans to bring in back-up. We expect a fight from our little dude.

Jack then proceeds to fall asleep. He sleeps as the doctor returns and we place him on the bed. He half sleeps as they flush out his cut. He starts to wake up while he's getting glued. He has this look on his face like "maybe I'm just having a bad dream".

It's 10pm when we leave Vandy, and the roads are still fine. We get home around 10:30, get Jack ready for bed, and he gladly goes to sleep. I took the picture the next morning at breakfast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home