Sunday, January 01, 2006

New Year's Just Ain't What It Used to Be...

Come to think of it, I've never had a really wild New Year's celebration. But normally I stay up to watch the ball drop. This did not happen this year!

December 31 - a Saturday, so time for Emily to travel to Brentwood and get some work done. Jack wakes up at 4:00am, which is completely bizarre and not cool since his Mama went to sleep around 11:30pm, so I kind of get ready in a haze I guess. I leave for work about 6:30ish and get to the office around 7:20.

At this point I realize that I left my wallet at home - with my office key inside it. Yep, I'm in Brentwood, 45 minutes away from home, without my office keys and therefore locked out of the office. And I'm the only one working in the office that day.

So my lovely husband gets Jack ready and drives to Brentwood to give me my wallet. I sit outside our office door, feeling like a complete idiot. Addam gets there about 8:30 - I'm finally in the office - yay - and work until sometime after 5:00pm.

So I head home, stopping at Kroger on the way (never but never go to the grocery store on New Year's Eve - madhouse!). We get home and my wonderful sister-in-law Heather brought us food (from Chili's). We eat and all is well. Jack goes to bed about 30 minutes past his bedtime. I'm out like a light from about 9:30 until 6am when Jack wakes up (6am is normal, folks). So I missed the ball drop - Addam saw it, and apparently some folks in our neighborhood were setting off fireworks to honor the occasion, which I slept through.

Boy, do we know how to party.

I've noticed a lot of year-end lists about what was best in movies, books, etc... in 2005. I've realized that I am probably not cool anymore, if I ever was, because I just don't even recognize some of the stuff that I've seen. But here's a few things that entertained me in 2005 (I'm sure I left some things out):

  • iRiver - Come on guys, the iPods are done to death. Be an original - get an iRiver. No honestly, mp3's, whatever your particular choice in brand, are just plain great. Jack-friendly playlists, all-day tunes at work, not having to pick and choose which CDs to travel with - it's all awesome. Love it.
  • Foo Fighter's In Your Honor - I love everything Dave Grohl and the rest of his Foo Fighters have done, and they just get better and better. Rock and acoustic - incredible double-disc.
  • Weezer's Make Believe - they've grown a lot since the Blue Album, and I'd definitely put this up there with it. Great songs. I was a little disappointed with Maladroit when it was released, so it was great to see them come back with this one. And Jack loves Beverly Hills. Weezer toured with the Foo Fighters this year, so it was super-disappointing that they didn't make it to Nashville.
  • I finally read Memoirs of a Geisha. It's a beautiful book that truly reads like a memoir - they actually had me a little fooled there for a while. I now want to see the movie, but I'm sure I will be disappointed.
  • Walk the Line was wonderful. I've officially forgiven Reese Witherspoon for Sweet Home Alabama (I was mad because she's from the South but allowed everyone Southern in that movie to look like dumb, Civil-War-reenacting rednecks - but I digress). They both deserve some awards for this one. And if you ever get a chance to read Johnny Cash's autobiography, do so - it's a great read. I read it years ago, and we loaned the book out never to see it again.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The forgetting the keys incident sounds like something I would do. About a year ago I left the office and headed to Kroger. When I got to the checkout line I couldn't find my wallet and had to call Alan to come bring his check card. Luckily my wallet was under my work desk, but I felt like an idiot. Plus I was very pregnant at the time and started to cry.

1/03/2006 1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leslie introduced me to the Chronic-what?-cles of Narnia. We laughed and laughed.--Lynn

1/05/2006 1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home