Monday, April 16, 2007

I like to photograph dilapidated things...


Abandoned, originally uploaded by TNEmily.

A and I were driving around on Easter Saturday in his hometown, just so I could take some photos.

In addition to taking pictures of pretty flowers (and thanks for the compliments on that, ya'll!) I also like to take pics of things that are completely run down. Rusty. Almost destroyed.

So as A drove by this I said: "Um, I saw something back there. You're going back that way, right?"

To which he asked what about, and I mentioned the rusty old truck that was sitting on the side of the road in the middle of town.

And I could tell he thought that was a little, well, strange. My husband loves me, weirdness and all.

My cousin and I discussed this by email a while back. She's a fan of plantation/antebellum/old homes, and put it this way (paraphrasing) that the ones that were unfinished, or really run down, always seemed to tell more of a story.

And I think that's right. The rusted, dilapidated, worn-out, breaking-down - it all seems to tell a story. In the case of a home, lives lived in its walls, complete with an ending - either of abandonment, destruction, or something else. In the case of this car - roads traveled, places seen. Maybe it was someone's reliable transportation for this vehicle's lifetime - to work, to and from a honeymoon, to the hospital for the birth of a child.

Or maybe it's late, and I just think too much.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger mamatulip said...

I always wonder about abandoned houses, about their history, who lived there, why no one does anymore.

The picture's great. I would have gone back to shoot it too.

4/17/2007 6:08 AM  
Blogger The Domesticator said...

You are not weird in your thoughts about that. Many times I have thought the same things about cars, homes, etc and why they end up "orphans"....

4/20/2007 12:08 PM  
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Love it - you don't think too much. This is an amazing picture. I think you've hit the nail on the head as to why I don't ever want to own a shiny new house in the suburbs. There's no history, no story.

4/23/2007 10:39 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Flinger said...

I love the image. It makes a whole story just from one photograph. I think it's great that you find those kind of stories in abandoned things.

4/24/2007 8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home