Friday, March 03, 2006

Serenity Now!

Just felt like posting this one:


I took this photo last fall at Standing Stone State Park, in Overton County, Tennessee.

I was feeling some need for some serenity today after Annie (our dog) ate a diaper, and Jack was being a bit of a pain before his nap, as in: "Jack, do you want peanut butter & jelly sandwich and peaches for lunch? And milk?". Nods head yes. "Jack, your lunch is on the table. Want to eat?". Ignores me as he lines the trucks up in the kitchen floor. "Jack, your lunch is on the table. Want to eat?". Again ignores me as he lines the trucks up in the kitchen floor. "Jack, please look at me". Looks up. "Do you want to eat?" Blank stare as Jack tries to determine the most advantageous answer, and then decides that not answering would be the best route to take. Agh! This was around 12:45. I then gave up and put the food in the fridge. Jack finally indicated before 2ish that he did want lunch, he ate, and then he napped. And I so needed him to nap.

And the diaper - yes, I know I have some responsibility to bear for Annie eating the diaper. She's done it before, so I know she'll do it again, and after a bout of acute pancreatitis about 1.5 years ago (not diaper-related), I really don't want to have to watch her spend 5 days at the vet hospital on death's door, nor do we need the vet bill for that right now. Anyway. Bad things always happen when Momma gets distracted, and today was no exception. I changed Jack's diaper (just a #1, folks), on the move as usual, and set it down. I always toss the diaper immediately after the diaper change, no exceptions - aside from the sanitary reasons, I know the dog will consume the diaper if I don't get it out of her reach. Well, I guess after dealing with a recent tantrum, which I won't get into, and in thinking ahead about Jack's lunch, I forgot. Flash forward to about 1:30, when I am trying unsuccessfully to get my child to nap. I ask if he wants his green blanket, and he hauls down the hallway to his room. I assume he's coming back with the blanket, but you know when too much time passes, and it's just too darn quiet, that somethin's up. Well, sure enough, there's Jack crouched on the floor over his shreds of diaper. So I clean up, vaccuum, wash Jack's hands ("Jack, did you touch the diaper?" Nods head yes.), and smell Annie's breath - the tell-tale sign of the diaper consumption is found on old Pee-Breath, as I am now calling her. Disgusting! I'm lucky to have a child that does not put everything in his mouth - checked his mouth and breath and he was clean. Maybe that's weird to check his mouth/breath, but I wanted to see if I needed to call the doctor and explain how my kid ate a diaper. Luckily, he did not. Major disaster averted, at least for today.

Oh, and in mentioning Jack's diaper - just a shout-out to the moms out there that the Kroger-brand pull-ups are OK. We were on Pampers Easy-Ups for a while but they mysteriously disappeared from Kroger's shelf (I don't know if this is permanent or just a busy week for Easy-Ups). I had heard that the Kroger brand diapers were actually OK, and turns out those moms were right! And we'll need to know that with two in diapers very soon. Addam joked that poor baby two - who we'll call Deuce for the time being - won't even have a brand on his diaper (Jack was a Luvs baby). His diaper will just say "diaper" on his butt. Poor Deuce.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to laugh at Old Pee-Breath! Somehow we have managed to escape the dogs eating diapers. I've tried every generic Pull Ups knock off there is and they are great. Love the picture...serenity is always needed!

3/03/2006 7:48 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Beautiful picture...

...and I'm LOL at Pee Breath.

3/03/2006 1:34 PM  
Blogger RB said...

Love that pic, I need to make that my screen saver.

3/03/2006 5:06 PM  
Blogger texasinafrica said...

I agree - that picture is wonderful. Thanks for a really nice reminder of home!

3/08/2006 3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home