Wednesday, May 03, 2006

For Those From Tennessee...

I got this forward quite a while back, and happened upon it again as I cleaned out my email. Excepting one or two exceptions, I think these could apply to most of the South:

You're a True Tennessean If....
1. You can properly pronounce Ooltewah, La Vergne, Etowah and Maryville.
Yep, guilty here. It's Mary-vul, folks!
2. You think people who complain about the heat in their states are sissies.
It's true! I remember when I lived in Mexico hearing some of the Californians (and other western Americans) complaining about the humidity. Oh, they so don't know humidity - I thought Mexico was quite dry!
3. A tornado warning siren is your signal to go out in the yard and look for a funnel.
OK, that's not me! I'm very afraid of tornadoes!
4. You know that the true value of a parking space is not determined by the distance to the door, but by the availability of shade.
True in the summer. But now that I have a toddler, I go by distance to the buggie/cart dropoff point at Kroger...
5. Stores don't have bags or shopping carts, they have sacks and buggies.
I say bags, but am guilty of saying buggies.
6. You've seen people wear bib overalls at weddings and funerals.
I don't know what bib overalls are...
7. You think everyone from a bigger city has an accent.
I live near a bigger city, so no.
8. You measure distance in minutes.
Yes. Guilty.
9. You go to the lake because you think it is like going to the ocean.
I grew up going to Destin, FL and Gulf Shores, AL, so no.
10. You listen to the weather forecast before picking out an outfit.
Of course! Especially in the spring and fall - weather's too darn unpredictable!
11. You know cowpies are not made of beef.
Doesn't everyone know this?
12. Someone you know has used a football schedule to plan their wedding date.
Football schedules are always consulted for a fall wedding, right?
13. You know someone who has a belt buckle bigger than your fist.
Maybe?
14. You aren't surprised to find movie rental, ammunition, beer, and bait all in the same store.
Nope, would not be surprised. Doesn't Walmart carry all this? Our town is also home to video and tanning. Ah, the video and tanning store - the staple of the Southern American small town...
15. A Mercedes Benz isn't a status symbol. A Chevy Silverado Extended Bed Crew Cab is.
I'd be more impressed with the Benz. But, trucks are expensive...
16. You know everything goes better with Ranch.
It's hard to have too much dressing on a salad. Am I right?
17. You learned how to shoot a gun before you learned how to multiply.
I was actually in my mid-20's before I ever shot a gun. But my husband grew up around them.
18. You actually get these jokes and are "fixin'" to send them to your friends.
They're on my blog, so you "might could" say yes...
And finally:
19. You are 100% Tennessean if you have ever had this conversation: "You wanna coke?" "Yeah." "What kind?" "Dr Pepper."
I have had ARGUMENTS with friends about "coke" vs. "pop" (you could also add "vs. soda" here too, but that's never been an issue). Here in the South, I guess "Coke" is seen as the original and therefore universal term for all sugary, carbonated beverages (Coke's also based in Atlanta, so I'm sure that has something to do with it, too). "Coke" can refer to Pepsi, Sprite, Dr. P, Fanta, etc... So they're all coke to me. I have friends though (transplanted from the North in their youth) that would argue otherwise.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it! Believe it or not after all these years of going to Destin/Navarre/Ft. Walton I've never been to Gulf Shores. GASP! I do say shopping cart and not buggy, though. :)

5/04/2006 10:27 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Never been to Gulf Shores - SHOCK! GASP!

Actually last time I went to Gulf Shores, Addam and I got REALLY bored. We're not beach bum types, I guess - can't relax. I'm sure with Jack we'll be heading that way in a couple of years though - either GS, Destin, or Daytona.

5/04/2006 12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home