Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Eureka!

From a Babyzone article on late talkers:

"Stephen Camarata, a speech-language pathologist with over 20 years’ experience working with late talkers, said that he’s seen children who are more prone to perfectionism wait until they can enunciate and speak at an adult level—something they simply cannot do in the toddler years."

Oh gosh, this could totally be my child. I am not kidding. He's a bit of a perfectionist, especially for a 2 year old.

Jack's "teacher" recommended a book to me called The Einstein Syndrome: Bright Children Who Talk Late. I might have to get this - has anyone read it?

Jack recently had a second speech evaluation, and we're still waiting to see if the speech pathologist's recommendation to TEIS will have some sway above his test scores - kiddo's just too darn smart and receptive for his own good ;).

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger texasinafrica said...

I haven't read it, but my mother has mentioned that I didn't talk for a long time, but then started speaking in complete sentences. Not that I'm a perfectionist! Trust yourself - you're keeping an eye on it and that's the most important thing. I bet by this time next year you'll be trying to figure out how to get him to be quiet so you can have a few minutes of peace!

5/04/2006 4:58 AM  
Blogger The Domesticator said...

I have not read that book.
I can tell you, my son did not talk until he was 2.5 years old. I was so concerned about it.
I can tell you, he is now 6, perfectly fine and very intelligent...and a perfectionist I might add. Keep an eye on it, but I would,t worry about it too much.
Texas in Africa is right...once they start talking, they.don't.stop... :)

5/04/2006 5:49 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm actually thinking the "late talker" part partially runs from my side of the family - my Dad, my Mom, my aunt, possibly me and my brother (Mom didn't write down when we spoke or what our first word was). And he is SO SMART, so that truly eases some of my concerns.
I might have to read this book though - it really sounds interesting.

5/04/2006 6:48 AM  
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Emily - you've been tagged!

5/06/2006 4:58 AM  
Anonymous pregnancy quiz said...

There are still many ways to improve your odds and become a parent as soon as you wish from a child their are chances that they even walk and talk slowly don't stop keep posting.

6/15/2011 4:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home