Thursday, May 18, 2006

Heeeeeeere's Johnny!

I'm starting to give up on the 8:30, no arguments, bedtime, and am beginning to settle on 9 or 9:30. Why? Last night, when we put him down at 8:30, read to him, did the routine, and left, Jack cried for about 5-10 minutes, and then proceeded to walk around his room, getting into Lord Knows What. I could hear his little footsteps going back and forth, back and forth, and with the door closed we really had no clue what he was up to.

Tonight? Well, after last night, and taking into consideration his nap which lasted until around 5pm, I decided to move bedtime to 9. When 9 o'clock rolled around, 9 became 9:30 and we finally went back to bed. Despite the new sheets that Jack picked out, he still wanted to sleep on the floor - fine, my strange little man - and I read him his bedtime reading selections - Poky Little Puppy, Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me, and Harold and the Purple Crayon. I then talked to him for a minute or two, and was out. He didn't cry. He didn't move. He just went to sleep.

I think Jack's just a lot like me. I'm a night owl. I have a hard time going to sleep at a decent hour, even when I know I will be waking up early the next day. When do I type these blog entries? Most are in the 10pm-midnight timeslot. I'm just wired that way. I guess Jack's wired that way too.

Come to find out, through a conversation with my Dad the other day, that I've always been a night person. My Dad mentioned the other day about reading the blog entries about Jack's bedtime, and the conversation segues to reveal that - at four years old - my parents apparently gave up fighting my bedtime and just let me stay up so I could watch Johnny Carson. Really. Apparently they would retrieve me around midnight, where I was asleep on the couch, and take me to bed.

We had yet another ultrasound yesterday, and everything looks good. Still a boy, of course, and he looks healthy. He's bigger than Jack was at this point, and I'm pretty sure he will be bigger at birth than Jack was.

Everyone is thinking that I will "go" early with this one. With Jack, I was induced a week after the due date. I never had a contraction; heck, I never even had Braxton-Hicks. I know a lot of moms out there will think I'm loca, but I would love to be induced again. I'm the kind of girl that prefers what can be planned for, and inductions just fit perfectly with my personality. I loved that I could go to the hospital and would labor the whole time there. Once the pain got to be too much - epidural please - and I got it. This was especially good as my epidural didn't take the first time (slightly curved spine) and I had to have that epidural redone. I labored for about 8 hours, from the time they started the pitocin drip until Jack's arrival. I think I pushed for about 30-45 minutes - not too bad at all, really.

Jack's labor and delivery was about as good as it can get. So I wonder how this labor will go. I wonder a lot of things about this second child, aside from his birth - what will he look like? In what ways will he and Jack be similar, and how will they differ? I'm curious to watch these two develop a bond as brothers. I know there will be fights, but I also know that they'll play together and watch out for each other too. There's a lot to look forward to with this new addition to our little family.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your labor and delivery goes as great as it did with Jack. I'm glad you are feeling well, too! I love watching my girls (who look very different!) play together. They have had some "moments" lately...mostly instigated by Caitlin...but I love seeing them together.

5/19/2006 6:08 AM  
Blogger The Domesticator said...

Oh, the joy of having a new baby...the dreams, the plans...
I am like you, too. I love being a nightowl. Kinda sucks when I have to get up the next morning, though.

5/19/2006 11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home