Thursday, June 15, 2006

The Haircut

I'm going to blog quickly - Jack's still asleep, but I am sure he will wake up any minute.

Jack's had several haircuts, starting from the time he was about 11 months old (no, we did not wait until he was one year. His hair was all around his ears, did not seem comfortable, and was wild, so he got his cut early).

As many of my "regular readers" likely have noticed, Jack has some curly hair. It's nice and thick and blonde, and it grows fast. He's been due a haircut for a couple of weeks, at least - he comes in with his head dripping with sweat when spending a morning outside in this Tennessee heat, and I know his hair was probably making his head pretty hot:

PHOTO DELETED

Check out that tongue while the man commits some serious work to his art!

So, off we went on Monday to get Jack's haircut (and mine, for it was too long and I needed that hair off my neck - did I mention the Tennessee Heat?). I'm lucky to still have family caring for Jack and me - I see the orthopedist Tuesday, so knock on wood that this cast will be off and replaced by something I can walk in.

A requested that I ask the hairdresser to take clippers to Jack's hair, as it's just so hot (80's-90's during the daytime here in middle Tennessee) and this would give him a nice, short summer 'do. Our hairdresser, Shelly, seemed a little reluctant, but went right ahead. Curls fell to the floor. Here's the result (doesn't he look happy):

PHOTOS DELETED

I have to admit, I had a "Whoa, did we do the right thing" moment at the hair salon. I think because the haircut transferred him from looking more "baby" to looking more "little boy". This is definitely "little boy" hair, as a playgroup mama friend commented. I really like the haircut now, three days later, but when the haircut actually occurred, I had some serious doubt and regret.

Everyone really likes the hair too - except for my mother (who reads this blog). She was trying to bargain with me over the phone to let him have curls in the cool weather, but keep it cut like this over the summer. I think she mourned the loss of his curls - but they're not lost, believe me - those curls aren't going away.

My husband LOVES the hair. He had an ear to ear grin when he saw the little man's new 'do. The haircut looks almost exactly like A's, and they look like such a pair - it's pretty cool.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I like it! I think he looks very handsome. :)

6/15/2006 7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Jack's curls. They are beautiful...but it is so hot and humid here in the summer I can't blame you for taking him to get his first real "dude" haircut! He's a cutie, curls or no curls!

p.s. hope you are getting around OK!

6/15/2006 7:53 AM  
Blogger texasinafrica said...

He looks adorable! It's a good cut for a big brother. Hope everything goes great with the orthopedist!

6/15/2006 9:28 PM  
Blogger The Domesticator said...

I went hrough the same thing with my son. Baby to little man with a few snips of the scissors *sniff*
I think he looks so handsome!

6/16/2006 10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it. Now we can see the face first. There is more to the little dude than curly hair!

6/17/2006 12:22 PM  
Blogger Chaotic Mom said...

HE is adorable! I'm not looking forward to the day I cut my youngests' hair short...

6/21/2006 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home